Grilled Gruyère with spiced apple and pear on toasted organic sourdough with fried egg, pickled cucumber and salt roasted tomatoes
400g grated cheese (Emmentaler/Gruyère)
4 fried eggs
3 tbsp apple cider
4 tbsp butter
1 French-style sourdough baguette, sliced at an angle
Preheat oven to 160C
1. Thinly slice apple and pear and sauté in saucepan with butter and cloves until soft. Remove cloves then reserve the sauté for step 3.
2. Toast 4 slices of baguette and set aside.
3. In a bowl mix sautéed apple and pear with one lightly whisked egg and apple cider.
4. Place toasted baguette slices in 4 individual terracotta baking dishes, topped evenly with sautéed apple and pears and 100g of grated cheese.
5. Bake in moderate oven until cheese has melted (slowly) without colour.
6. Top each dish with a fried egg.
3 continental cucumbers
1 tsp black peppercorns
125ml white wine vinegar
125g white sugar
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 bay leaf
½ long red chilli, deseeded, finely diced
½ bunch chopped dill
1 tsp salt
1. Use a vegetable peeler to create cucumber ribbons, peel and all, but discarding the inner seeds.
2. In a medium saucepan add water, vinegar, sugar, black peppercorns, mustard seeds and bay leaf. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add diced chilli and chopped dill.
4. Allow pickling liquid to cool to room temperature then add cucumber ribbons and salt. Allow ribbons to marinate for 5 minutes.
5. Remove cucumber ribbons from the pickling liquid and serve.