While a half side of premium fish might sound a touch luxurious or expensive during the COVID-19 crisis, it’s surprising just how much volume cured fish is produced and how long it will last in your refrigerator, potentially making some decent cost savings. If you can’t access a while side of fish, slices of fresh salmon from your supermarket will also work nicely, as long as the pickled beetroot and seasoning well covers the fish when wrapped.
Pickled Beetroot Cured Ocean Trout with Fennel, Orange Salad & Horseradish Crème Fraiche
Pickled Beetroot (for curing)
6 small beetroot, cooked, peeled and grated
1 cup water
½ cup sugar
½ cup malt vinegar
½ tsp chilli flakes
½ tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp whole cloves
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan and on a high heat bring to boil.
2. Reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook until liquid has reduced by half.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
4. Grate beetroot flesh, ready for fish curing.
Ocean Trout (or Salmon)
One side fresh ocean trout or salmon, skin on
Pickled beetroot, grated
1. Place the side of fresh fish skin down on a tray lined with cling wrap. Use enough wrap to allow you to wrap the whole side of fish tightly and completely.
2. Heavily season fish with salt and pepper, next completely cover the flesh with the cooled pickled beetroot. Ensure that the fish flesh is completely covered by the pickle.
3. Fold over the excess cling wrap, enveloping the fish, and seal tightly.
4. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours (up to 48 hours is good) to allow the fish to cure.
Horseradish Crème Fraiche
200g crème fraiche
2 to 3 tbsp grated horseradish, fresh or jarred
Lemon juice (half a lemon)
Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients well, season to taste, then refrigerate.
shaved fennel (and tops for garnish)
sliced orange segments
toasted nigella seeds
Remove approximately half of the beetroot pickle, thinly slice the fish and serve with horseradish crème fraiche and a salad of shaved fennel, orange segments and toasted nigella seeds.
Essentials COVID-19 Supportive Coverage
Given the current COVID-19 crisis, it’s rapidly becoming apparent that money saving recipes are going to help us all over the coming months. In the last few days we’ve put together a collection of recipes at essentialsmagazine.com.au to help many get a head start on feeding families extremely well, for less money.
Over the coming weeks and months, Essentials aims to continue with clever food strategies, supportive ideas to share, and additionally we’ve now opened up our website and iOS app Essentials Magazine Australia allowing FREE subscription. To install the iOS app, visit the App Store today!