Beechworth Honey has long been at the forefront of championing Australian varietal honeys. The business was created 25 years ago by husband and wife team Steven and Jodie Goldsworthy in Beechworth in North East Victoria. This honey cake recipe with dried flower petals and raw Australian honeycomb is a great way to celebrate their single origin 100% pure/raw honeys.
Honey Cake with dried flower petals, raw Australian honeycomb
170g Beechworth Honey’s Bee Bold Red Stringy Bark Honey
100g caster sugar
115g unsalted butter
1 tsp baking soda
3 large eggs
¼ tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
450g plain flour
Preheat oven to 180C
1. In a medium-sized saucepan over a medium heat add honey, sugar and butter; bring to a simmer.
2. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes. The colour should become slightly darker.
3. Remove from heat and whisk in baking soda then allow to stand for 3-4 minutes to cool slightly.
4. In a small bowl crack 3 eggs and whisk gently with a fork.
5. Now whisk the honey, sugar and butter mixture vigorously in the saucepan while slowing pouring in eggs. Continue mixing until well combined.
6. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, stir in the salt and vanilla paste. Continue to stir and gradually add the flour. Continue working the mixture in the saucepan until a wet dough is formed.
7. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured clean work surface, form into a log and cut into eight even pieces.
8. Roll out each piece of dough on individual sheets of baking paper (approx. 20cm square), shaping your dough to slighter larger than 20cm diameter circles. Now use a 20cm cake tin base to trim them to exact circles
9. Bake each cookie layer on its individual baking paper sheet for 6-7 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Continue baking until all layers are completed. Allow all layers to cool completely.
⅔ cup Beechworth Honey’s Bee Bold Red Stringy Bark Honey
2 cups unsalted butter warmed to room temperature
8 cups pure icing sugar
1. In an electric mixer with paddle attachment and large mixing bowl cream together butter and honey for 2 minuets.
2. On a low speed add 2 cups of icing sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy.
3. Gradually add the remaining icing sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Continue to beat for a further 6-8 minutes until icing is thick, smooth and glossy.
The Essential Ingredient’s Salade de Fleurs
Beechworth Honey’s Bee Raw Honey & Honeycomb
1. Apply an even thin layer of honey cream to each individual baked cookie layer, using a spatula. Continue to coat all 8 layers.
2. Using a closed 20cm cake tin, place each layer into the cake tin, applying firm pressure when adding each layer. This will build the height of the cake evenly.
3. Unclip and remove the cake tin rim and complete the cake design by finishing the top and sides, using the remaining honey butter cream.
4. Garnish the cake top with a ring of salade de fleurs and small pieces of Bee Raw Honey & Honeycomb