There’s nothing as good as the flavour of freshly BBQ corn on the cob, but did you know the same result can be achieved on regular gas stove top? Paired with the sweet mellow flavour of black garlic, this easy recipe is a guaranteed way to turn a few fresh simple ingredients into a family favourite.
Stove Top Charred Corn Cobs
1. Shuck the corn (peel back the husks) and remove the silks.
2. Light your gas stove and turn heat to medium-high flame.
3. Place a corn cob right on the gas flame. It’s a good idea to use more burners to roast several cobs of corn at the same time. Turn the corn with some BBQ tongs once several kernels have blackened slightly. Repeat this step for 15-20 minutes until the corn has charred and softened slightly.
4. Transfer the corn cobs to a baking tray and in a pre-heated medium-high oven, 180-200C and allow to cook for a further ten minutes.
Serve the corn warm with black garlic compound butter and a little freshly cracked pepper.
Black Garlic Butter
250g unsalted butter, warmed to room temperature
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
zest of 1 lemon
3 large Garlicious® Grown caramelised black garlic cloves, peeled
1 pinch Murray River salt flakes
1. Using a KitchenAid or similar mixer with paddle attachment, whip butter until light, fluffy and pale in colour.
2. Use a spatula to fold through the thyme, lemon zest and black garlic cloves until well incorporated.
3. Season to taste with salt flakes and fold through.
4. Line 2 mini loaf tins with cling wrap and transfer the butter mixture evenly between them.
5. Gently press the butter into the tins to form the ideal shape.
6. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
Garlicious Grown – Black Garlic (Australia)
For more recipe ideas and a list of stockists, or to buy online, visit: garliciousgrown.com.au
Essentials COVID-19 Supportive Coverage
Given the current COVID-19 crisis, it’s rapidly becoming apparent that money saving recipes are going to help us all over the coming months. In the last few days we’ve put together a collection of recipes at essentialsmagazine.com.au to help many get a head start on feeding families extremely well, for less money.
Over the coming weeks and months, Essentials aims to continue with clever food strategies, supportive ideas to share, and additionally we’ve now opened up our website and iOS app Essentials Magazine Australia allowing FREE subscription. To install the iOS app, visit the App Store today!