Farmer’s breakfast cheesecake or zapekanka is a healthy breakfast that can be made the night before. Zapekanka was once served as a breakfast dish in schools and kindergartens all over the former Soviet Union.
Makes 6 individual zapekanka
500g Blue Bay Quark
50g butter, softened at room temperature
2 free range eggs
1 tsp of vanilla sugar
Preheat Oven to 180C
1. In a large mixing bowl add Blue Bay Quark, sugar, milk, butter, eggs and vanilla sugar. Mix together by hand with a wooden spoon until soft, smooth and even in consistency.
2. Continue mixing, adding the semolina, a little at a time. This will add a little firmness to the mixture, bringing the zapekanka to a workable consistency – similar to a thick cake batter.
3. Line six individual 8-10cm baking dishes with butter and pour in the zapekanka mixture into each dish until approximately two-thirds full.
4. Set aside to prove in a warm environment for 40 minutes.
5. Bake the zapekanka for 30-40 minutes until a golden crust develops and the zapekanka has risen. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
6. Carefully remove individual zapekanka from each baking dish, releasing at the edges using a butter knife, in preparation for serving.
Chunky Loganberry and Blueberry Sauce
500g fresh or frozen mixed berries; we used last season’s frozen loganberries and blueberries
Juice of half a lemon
4 tsp sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
10 2cm x 2mm strips of lemon zest
1 tbsp Chambord liqueur
1. Place berries in a small saucepan on low heat to thaw and cook down for approximately 5 minutes.
2. Add the lemon juice, sugar, Chambord, nutmeg, cinnamon and lemon zest. Reduce heat and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes to infuse flavours.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool before serving.
chunky loganberry and blueberry sauce
Blue Bay European-style light sour cream
Serve individual zapekanka with a generous portion of chunky lingonberry and blueberry sauce and a dollop of Blue Bay European style light sour cream.