Truffle season in Australia begins in June and runs through to September. These delicate fungi may be pricey, but a little goes a long way and can enhance just about any dish when prepared correctly. Le Cordon Bleu Brisbane lecturer and chef William Pointu explains his top tips on cooking with Périgord (French) truffles and shares his recipe for a quick and easy, winter-warming Périgord Noir (black) truffle risotto
Périgord Truffle cooking and preparation tips:
1. Always use an easy and gentle heat to bring out the flavour. Never boil or fry truffles!
2. Add the truffle, chopped or sliced finely with a Japanese mandoline or truffle mandoline at the end of a risotto, pasta dish or a soup and let it infuse.
3. Truffles can be added to terrine, pies or even a salad dressing for a unique added depth of flavour.
4. If you want to infuse poultry, slide a few slices under the skin and let it infuse overnight before roasting the bird.
5. When making a brown sauce or jus, veal stock is perfect as it has a subtle taste.
6. Avoid too strong spice so it doesn’t overpower the nice earthy truffle flavour.
Truffle Risotto Recipe
200g carnaroli risotto rice
50g French shallots brunoise
½ clove of garlic
20ml white wine
700ml white chicken stock (made with a white mirepoix only)
50g unsalted butter
20g parmesan, finely grated
Veal jus infused with 5g chopped truffle (optional)
5g chopped truffle
Salt and pepper to taste
Freshly sliced truffle
Micro herbs and shaved parmesan
1. In a hot frypan with a touch of grapeseed oil, sweat the shallots and garlic over a low-to-medium heat.
2. Add the rice and continue sweating until it becomes translucent and well-coated with the oil.
3. Deglaze with the white wine and reduce until dry.
4. Add the chicken stock slowly, letting the rice absorb the stock before adding the next ladle.
5. When the rice is almost al dente, add the butter and stir vigorously, making the risotto nice and creamy.
Season to taste.
6. Finally, add the parmesan and half of the chopped truffle and fold it through.
Serve immediately with the veal-truffle jus, freshly shaved truffles and shaved parmesan.
Le Cordon Bleu Australia