Renowned French-Australian chef Guillaume Brahimi believes the French know how to live life to the full and that French food culture is the beating heart of the nation. They call it Savoir Vivre. Each night of the Tour de France on SBS, Guillaume travels through France to meet some of the best food producers in the country and serves up his Plat du Tour.
As stage 16 of the 2022 Tour de France continues in Carcassone – just 1 hour from the Mediterranean, Guillaume takes an excursion to the town of Gruissan, known for its incredible pink salt lake. Guillaume uses the local salt, fresh clams, anchovies, herbs and escargot to deliver a colourful and flavour-rich pasta dish.
A French pasta dish with Snails, clams and anchovies; fused with palatable herbs and wine.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
50mL olive oil
1 eschallot, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
125ml white wine
4 ripe tomatoes, diced
2 dozen escargots in tin
1 small tin anchovies, chopped
100g jamón diced
500g cooked spaghetti
½ bunch parsley, chopped
1. Wash snails thoroughly under cold water, then drain. Soak clams in cold water for 10 minutes, then drain. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, heat oil, then cook eschallots without colouring. Add the chopped garlic and cook for 2 minutes without burning the garlic.
3. Add clams to the pot, then white wine. Cover with a lid and leave to cook until all the clams are open.
4. Add tomatoes, anchovies and snails. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the tomatoes are cooked and the liquid has a sauce consistency.
5. Add the jamón and stir in the pasta. Season with pepper and finish with chopped parsley.
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20ml; 1cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified), and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled unless specified. | All eggs are 55–60g, unless specified.
Photography by Blink TV. Styling by Blink TV. Food preparation by Guillaume Brahimi.