pickled beetroot, persimmon and macadamia nut
2 kangaroo fillet pieces, approximately 200g each
2 tbsp Australian extra-virgin olive oil for pan-searing
¼ cup balsamic glaze (store bought)
1 cup Rainforest Heart Australian Native Dukka
2 tbsp of thinly shaved Barenuts (brand) Australian macadamia nut
Sliced pieces of persimmon
Snow pea tendrils
Rainforest Heart Davidson’s Plum Powder
1. In a large frying pan over a high heat, add olive oil and quickly sear kangaroo fillets evenly on all sides. Remove from pan immediately and allow to rest on a wire rack.
2. Using a pastry brush paint the seared fillets with a generous amount of balsamic glaze and dust with Rainforest Heart Australian Native Dukka, ensuring the fillets are well coated.
3. Lay the kangaroo fillets onto individual sheets of cling wrap and roll tightly into log shapes. Seal the ends tightly and freeze solid, approximately 2-3 hours before serving.
4 small beetroot, cooked and peeled
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 cup malt vinegar
1 tsp pickling spice mix
1. Dice cooked beetroot into small cubes.
2. In a medium saucepan add water, sugar, malt vinegar and pickling spice mix. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add sliced beetroot.
4. Allow to cool in pickling liquid to infuse flavours. Can be preserved in jars.
Remove rolled kangaroo fillets from the freezer, unwrap, and while still frozen finely slice both fillets into thin discs. Arrange sliced fillet discs, layered on the centre of a plate in a circular pattern. Garnish with pickled beetroot cubes, clumps of shaved macadamia nut and top with sliced pieces of persimmon and snow pea tendrils. Dust the plate with Rainforest Heart Davidson’s Plum Powder.
Note: The kangaroo fillets will quickly thaw as your prepare each plate.
Native Bush Food Producers available on Farmhouse:
Essentials would like to thank Farmhouse and its producers for assisting in the production of this Australian native foods recipes feature. Visit Farmhouse to gather your own collection of Australian native bush foods. They are shipped direct from the producer to you.