Sweet and tangy classic lemon tarts with buttery sweet pastry are low cost, easy and delicious treats. Adding to their presentation, we’ve added sweet lemon zest and the floral fragrant garnish of salade de fleurs – a beautiful mix of French marigolds, cornflower and rose petals; available from The Essential Ingredient in Australia and Mill and Mortar in the UK.
Classic Lemon Tart with Sweet Lemon Zest
500g sweet pastry (see recipe below)
Sweet lemon zest, cream and salade de fleurs to garnish.
Makes 2 tarts, serves 4
140g unsalted butter, cold, diced
100g icing sugar
1 egg, lightly whisked
230g plain flour, sifted
20g corn flour
1. Using an electric mixer, add butter and icing sugar and beat until lightly creamed.
2. Add pinch of salt.
3. While continuing to mix, slowly pour in the lightly whisked egg. The mixture should come together as a smooth mass.
4. Using a low speed setting, next carefully add the flour and cornflour. Mix briefly until a pastry dough is formed.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and use clean hands to shape it into smooth flattened balls.
6. Wrap the pastry dough in cling film and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before rolling out.
Lemon filling: makes 750ml
5 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
130g caster sugar
200ml thickened cream
130ml lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon zest
Preheat oven to 180C
1. Roll out the sweet pastry to approximately 2-3mm thick and use it to line greased individual tart tins. Cover with baking paper, fill with dried beans and bake blind for 10 minutes. Remove beans and bake for another 10 minutes until golden.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs, egg yolk and caster sugar. Whisk together well.
3. Stir in the cream, lemon juice and lemon zest.
4. Pour the lemon filling into the baked, individual tart shells.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 150C and bake the tarts for approximately 30 minutes or until just set.
6. Allow tarts to cool on a wire rack at room temperature.
Sweet Lemon Zest
Zest of 2 large lemons
1 cup water
1 cup caster sugar
1. In a small heavy-based saucepan add water and sugar. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
2. Add lemon zest and continue to cook until the syrup thickens.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
Top individual classic lemon tarts with a teaspoon of sweet lemon zest and garnish with a light sprinkling of salade de fleurs (mixed dried flowers). Serve with a vanilla bean flavoured double cream or cream of your choice.
Essentials COVID-19 Supportive Coverage
Given the current COVID-19 crisis, it’s rapidly becoming apparent that money saving recipes are going to help us all over the coming months. In the last few days we’ve put together a collection of recipes at essentialsmagazine.com.au to help many get a head start on feeding families extremely well, for less money.
Over the coming weeks and months, Essentials aims to continue with clever food strategies, supportive ideas to share, and additionally we’ve now opened up our website and iOS app Essentials Magazine Australia allowing FREE subscription. To install the iOS app, visit the App Store today!