Shortcrust pastry is often used for the base of a tart, quiche or pie. It can be used to make both sweet and savoury pies such as apple pie, quiche, lemon meringue or chicken pie.
300g plain flour, sifted
1 tsp salt
150g cold butter, diced
1 egg yolk
1. Using a food processor, combine the flour, salt and butter and pulse to fine sandy consistency.
2. Add the egg yolk and pulse quickly to incorporate.
3. Slowly add the water and pulse until the pastry dough comes together to form a ball.
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and use clean hands to shape it into smooth flattened balls.
5. Wrap the pastry dough in cling film and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before rolling out.