Served with pickled beets and horseradish cream
300g pork trotters
300g pork shins
1 tsp black peppercorns
4 bay leaves
2 brown onions, 1 whole and 1 finely diced
300g pork belly, diced
1 carrot, finely diced
1 stick celery, finely diced
6 cloves garlic
1 tsp allspice
1. Thoroughly wash pork trotters and shins, place in large pot, cover with water (about 4 litres) and bring to boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 hours, skimming the fats and foam that rise to the surface of the water.
3. After the 2 hours add salt, the whole onion, the black peppercorns and bay leaves. Simmer for a further 2 hours.
4. Add diced pork belly to the pot and simmer for a further hour. At this time the meat should be very soft, falling off the bone.
5. Remove pot from heat and allow the meat to cool slightly in the liquid.
6. Remove meat from the liquid and finely shred by hand into a bowl. Set aside liquid for later use.
7. In a frying pan sauté diced onion, garlic, carrot and celery cook until soft.
8. Add the sautéed vegetables and the allspice to the meat and mix thoroughly.
9. The reserved simmering liquid should now be gelatinous and sticky. Strain it to remove solids. You will need about a litre of the liquid.
10. Pour 1-1½cm of the simmering liquid into your choice of mould and set in a refrigerator until firm – about 15 minutes. (We used individual moulds of about 375ml each.)
11. Fold the remaining simmering liquid through the shredded meat.
12. Remove the mould/s with set jelly from the refrigerator and place shredded meat inside to fill completely. Press firmly in place.
13. Return to refrigerator to set completely.
4 beetroot, cooked and peeled
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 cup malt vinegar
1 tsp pickling spice mix
1. Thinly slice cooked beetroot.
2. In a medium saucepan add water, sugar, malt vinegar and pickling spice mix. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add sliced beetroot.
4. Allow to cool in pickling liquid to infuse flavours. Can be preserved in jars.
20g horseradish, grated
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp castor sugar
100ml double cream, lightly whipped
100ml sour cream
Salt and pepper
1. In a mixing bowl, mix double cream and sour cream together.
2. Add remaining ingredients and lightly fold until all ingredients are evenly incorporated.
3. Season to taste.