2kg brown onions, finely sliced
100g unsalted butter
1 head of roasted garlic
2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
3 tbsp chopped thyme
3l homemade veal or beef stock
150ml Jones Apero
100g Gruyere cheese, finely grated
100g Mozzarella cheese, finely grated
Day-old rye bread for large croutons
Method – Soup
1. Start the soup by slowly caramelising the sliced onions in butter, add the finely diced celery, roasted garlic, and chopped thyme.
2. Cook these down until they are soft and slightly coloured.
3. Add the Apero and reduce by half.
4. When the alcohol is cooked out, add the stock and bring to a simmer.
5. Continue simmering soup until flavours become rich and texture becomes velvety.
Method – Croutons
Heat oven to 180C
1. Slice bread, place on an oven tray and drizzle with olive oil. Toast in oven until golden.
2. Grate the cheeses and mix together. Reserve about a third of the mixture and spread the remainder on the toasted bread. Place back in oven until melted, then remove.
3. Turn the oven to grill in readiness for the next stage.
1. Place hot soup in ovenproof bowls and float bread on top.
2. Sprinkle extra cheese over and place under grill in oven to melt cheese.
Before serving sprinkle with fresh herbs.